Monday, October 21, 2013

Favorite Scripture Moroni 10:32

Alright! 
Hey Everyone! 
So this week has been pretty awesome. 
First up a clarification about last week. I feel awful. I said the houses are like 1 foot or less away. This is a lie. They are usually about 2 or 3 feet. Sometimes 5 or 6. And if there is a road in between, maybe 20 feet. 

So this week Hanzawasan took us to a ramen restaurant. It was amazing. Japanese Ramen is the best.- and you:ll never guess who walked in. The Mayor. And it was true that I didn:t know him at first, but brother Watanabe (who we were going to joint with after we ate) jumped up, ran over, shook his hand and started bowing. Then Ohori choro said "He is town president" So YA! Whoever asked that question? I have met the mayor. 
Also, a few times ago I talked about Typhoons. Apparently that was just normal rain. Ohori Choro meant `It was like a typhoon`. We had a real typhoon this Wednesday. We weren:t allowed to go outside. So we studied. 
It was crazy! I looked out the window and saw trees flopping back and forth, and power lines spinning like jump-ropes. 
So it turns out that we:re way closer to the Ocean that I thought. It:s like a ten minute bike ride away.


 We did service at a house there. 
Now, when I say service you probably picture picking up garbage, or lifting heavy objects, but for service we painted postcards, (Japanese style) Which is really actually way difficult. You have to hold the very end of the foot-long paint brush. And every line has to be incredibly slow. Five inches per minute. 






From the house you can see the tsunami wall. There:s just some empty fields in between with weeds. Which is incredibly strange. Usually there isn:t any empty spaces in residential areas at all, and if there is then it:s a park, and the Japanese people wouldn:t let weeds grow in it. 
The owner of the house saw me looking and walked over to me with a picture. He said it was a picture of houses, and a high school. I was incredibly confused until I recognized the tsunami wall in the background. The picture is of what used to be in the fields in front of the house. Everything was gone.

We talked to the man, and I shared my favorite scripture to him Moroni 10:32. He got a calm thoughtful look on his face, and then started quoting something. He was quoting the bible. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He have His Only Begotten Son..." I was shocked. How in the world did he know that? He said he heard it once when he was a boy... How in the world would he remember that? He looked about sixty, which meant that he was actually mid 70:s. (We:re teaching a 70 year old man and he:s more spry than dad is!) How could he remember that from when he was a boy? The Spirit will bring all things to your remembrance is what the bible says. I suppose the Spirit would cause him to remember the very Person He:s called to testify about.
Speaking of the spry guy, we taught the Kitami fufu the restoration this week. Everyone is seriously so nice. We came in and she fed us chocolate covered potato chips, cake, cookies, and mugicha (burnt popcorn water. Which i:m really starting to enjoy). He looks fifty but he:s really 70. 
We also found a new investigator. It was pouring so we decided to go tracting. (It:s just the classic thing to do!) We knocked on the door of an old investigator (Ochisan) in the temporary housing and he was home! He invited us into his genkan and we taught him a lesson about the Book of Mormon. Ohori choro was introducing the Book, and flipping through the pictures. He talked about Christ, and about Joseph Smith, and then he just stopped and stared at me and pointed to the next picture. 
Alright, I can do this. "The next picture is about Lehi and his family. The first part of the Book of Mormon is about Lehi. He was a prophet. Which is a person who receives the word of God, and shares it with other people..."  Yosh. I shared my favorite scripture again, and we set up an appointment for this Thursday at 7. Double Yosh.

I love this gospel and I love sharing it with people, 
If you ever have a question, just wright away. (wright away was a triple play on words in case you didn:t catch it) 

Elder Wheelwright

No comments:

Post a Comment