Monday, November 11, 2013

Ohiyogozaimasu

In Japan, whenever someone gets up to speak in church, they start off by saying "Ohiyogozaimasu!" or "Konichiwa!" and everyone replies respectively.  I'm just a little curious why we don't do something similar.  "Good morning everyone!"
"GOOD MORNING!"
I don't know, in English it just sounds a little hen (weird).
Well I forget what I write to some people or what I've already written last week, or what I've written in my journal, so if I repeat myself, forgive me. :)
Questions!
Do you have any investigators?
Yes, we have four right now, with one very strong potential.
Wakarani- he's a 20 something English teacher who we just invited to be baptized.  I'll tell you how that went in a bit.
Fred- Half-Japanese Half-Filipino.  He was Catholic and never questioned the existence of God until one day he had a stroke, and he lost much of his natural mobility.  He has troubles walking and using his hands now.  He doesn't believe that any God worth believing in would do this to him.
Kitami fufu- a member referral who loves the gaijin.  Their 70 years old but work as hard as ever every day.  They're both retired, but they do volunteer work all day, nearly every day. Whether it be picking up trash from the streets, or just going to talk to people in need of comfort.  They're amazing.
Have you had any luck with member referrals?
Yes and no.  Socially there's one amazing and awful governing rule.  They never want to inconvenience anyone.  If you offer your seat to an old woman on the train who's having troubles standing, she'll firmly tell you to get right back in your seat.  It's a really self-less society.  However, because of this, members often have a hard time pushing things onto their friends, because their afraid to be rude.  But, just like in any country, many members feel the 'dendo fire'  (mission spirit) and know that their joy of the gospel is worth pushing onto others.  So we get a good amount of both.
What about housing?
I'd say that it's far less depressing than in America.  That is, unless they use the keko box.
Keko box: keko is a phrase in Japanese that is usually accompanied with a hand gesture of waving the air in front of user's face (like there is a bad smell) that means "I'm good." or "Ya, I'm not that interested." The keko box is usually the box in which you push for the door bell.
You ring the door-bell (which the Japanese onomatopoeia for this is 'ping-pong') and you get to talk to the box.  And they... often say keko.
But normally they answer the door and you offer to help them, they tell you they're fine, you have a short conversation where we all end up laughing, you bring up the gospel, they tell you their Buddhist and they  listen respectful to your beliefs, then you ask them if they know anyone right now, you give them a card and they bow as they receive it, and you tell them to check out the website or to give the card to someone who wants to learn about Eternal Families, or whatever thought you talked about. But we haven't really done it too much.  We mostly street.
Who are your investigators now?
The before mentioned.
Will you tell us some about your English classes?
Well, we're shifting our focus to getting high school girls to come, because their the most willing,  (we got called ikemen the other day, but that's a story for another time) But now I no longer teach the beginning class.  I teach the advanced class now.  Which is way sad and happy at the same time.  In the advanced class, everyone understands almost everything you say in English, so I don't get to do weird gestures and act out random things anymore.  I'ts just a lot of me saying a word in English and the repeating it.  We have discussions on topics like friendship or life, and play games that involve English.  like 20 questions or other crazy complicated, but are really fun.  My favorite student is this guy named Shige san. He's a pilot who loves flying so much that he can think of nothing else he want to do for the rest of his life.  He needs to learn English so he can be a pilot of an American or Canadian liner. (Flight school in Japan costs a lot)  His hair looks like something from an anime.  Jet black, spike-y, and ... all around impossible to describe. What other things take your time?
We have a bunch of church activities, lessons, member visits, less-active visits (our less active member are quadruple our active.) We street and house only if we can't do any of the others.  What American Candy do you want?
Probably Rece's or however it's spelled.  Skittles also sound amazing. Just classic American candy.  Snickers, Milky-way, Starburst etc.  And ya, I've never seen rootbeer or licorice before. But there's a bunch of things I haven't seen.  I could see them disliking that. :) Ohori choro hates anything sweet for breakfast.  I made rice cinnamon and sugar for breakfast once, and I let him try some.  he made the most hilarious face as he tried it. and then told me "That is not Breakfast." I thought it was hilarious, But largely with my attitude, I just tend to find everything funny.  Especially when people erject us or look scared. :) It makes me laugh .
My Dignity


Elder Olsen, Matsuyama san, Elder Wheelwright


















So Japanese wise, I hope this comparison doesn't offend anyone, but I feel like a handicapped person who's regaining my mental capabilities slowly.  Out of nowhere the branch president jumped when I replied and started talking to him and said in Japanese, "What! You can speak Japanese?! Amazing.  You've gotten good quick." I'm focusing especially hard on the Language, and with Fred san, who loves to have logical debates about God, I've learned to explain every seeming flaw in the doctrine.  I dare say that the doctrine of this gospel is the most solid thing I've come across.  If you find a flaw, you dig into your scriptures and you'll feel like an idiot because what you considered a flaw fit perfectly, and made absolute sense, and wouldn't have worked any other way.  IT BLOWS MY MIND!  I could totally be seminary teacher. But then I'd be confined to Utah..... No offence, Utah.
GAH! Saddest thing,  So Matsuyama san moved.  I'm not sure I can fully convey what this man meant to the missionaries in words.  He's a member who is about 27 who was willing to do anything for the missionaries.  In everything he did, he thought of a way to benefit us.  He was introducing all of his friends to us, and was always giving us food or even furniture, (t-shirts, beannies) he believes the gospel with a stronger conviction than I've ever seen.  I love that man.  It was the first time that I'd actually seen a Nihonjin sob, when he told Umehara shimai that he was leaving.  She clutched his hand with her old strong hands, and pulled just held it and looked down and cried.  Man.  I love him
Anyway, I'll see if I can send you some pictures.  I love you all
Thanks for all of the support.
Wheelwright

No comments:

Post a Comment